Monday, September 20, 2010

Fresh Bean Salad

Last Wednesday I found yet another Farmer's Market by surprise in the parking lot of the Northway Mall. I stopped by Carr's to reward myself with a hot chocolate from Starbucks for getting all my nasty chores done before work. And because I'd had no breakfast and I was hungry. And there it was. I picked up a little bag of assorted baby potatoes and these fresh green beans. I didn't even know you could grow green beans in Alaska. The result is Fresh Bean Salad.
Here's my version:
Wash, sort and cut beans and then cook in boiling water for about 4 minutes or so. Cool quickly under cold running water.
In your salad bowl, mix together 2 T. golden balsamic vinegar (or more if you like it more tangy)
2 T olive oil, 1 T. fresh oregano leaves, 3 T. diced red onion or a shallot, and 2 t. grainy mustard. Mix well.
Toss green beans in with dressing and a can of kidney beans. I am not a huge fan of chickpeas in my salads so I left them out.
I served it with some fresh chickpea and pine nut hummus and Croccantini.
Light, yummy and plenty of protein!

No comments: