Friday, August 5, 2011

Killin' on the Kenai

I've always wanted to dipnet on the Kenai and this was the year! We we decided to camp and fish a couple of tides to increase our chances of getting some nice fish. Usually we go to the Kasilof because it's more user friendly and we just sleep in the car or not sleep or whatever, but with kiddo's we decided to officially camp. Here's our sweet little set up on the beach of Kenai river along with about a million other people.
It was a long trip for a little guy.
Grandpa filleting the fish he had caught on Friday evening.

Grandma on Saturday morning during the century old record breaking fish count frenzy of 2011. I've never seen so many fish in my life! They were literally jumping out of the water all around us. It was great! Savvy was chief fish bonker!
I got a little sunburned as you can see. And the trek from the water to the beach was killer. I am so glad I didn't have a heart attack! Ethan and Savvy were terrific and played on the beach in the sand most of the day. Except when Savannah took breaks to bonk the fish!
Altogether 18 beautiful red salmon. Lots of salmon dinners and some smoked ones as well. I love subsistence fishing. So glad we are residents and get to participate along with those who have been doing it this as a way of life for a very long time.

No comments: