Saturday, July 18, 2009

Eklutna Lake : Life is a Highway

Today we rode the trail by Eklutna Lake. It was gorgeous. I'm surprised I didn't know about it before now. Dickie suggested it and it's our favorite so far. We didn't make it to the end of the trail because we have no clue how far it is so we need to investigate that. But we rode for six miles one way and then back. This is a creek we rode over on the way. Just beautiful. The area has a nice small campground, a boat launch area, neat trails, and a cabin you can reserve if you are in the mood to backpack in a couple of miles. What a great spot to have a little family outing with the grandkids. This was one of the prettiest spots on the trail. Mile 6. It's also the narrowest. The part behind me is barely wide enough for the bike. I can say that I have become comfortable enough to ride on a nonpaved trail. I could never have done this last year without killing myself. It was packed dirt and rock for the most part, but there were some bigger rocks, plenty of loose rock and gravel, and some ruts. And the down hills were a little scary.
Steph, does this remind you of anything? The only shoes for riding. Or hiking to waterfalls.
Dad was hard core riding through the forest. Right after I took this picture something happened and he ended up in a bush on his butt. Yes, I laughed until I thought I was going to pee. I thought of Jenny. But I was too slow to get the camera. You know, laughing and trying so hard not to pee was challenging.
It was a great day and we want to go back and do the whole thing. Maybe even camp.

1 comment:

deerhollow said...

So ~ I think I read between the lines with these past few posts. You are never leaving Alaska. I know it.

You are blessed to live in such beauty.
(dumb visitors & their french dogs.)