Saturday, December 19, 2009

Writing vs Cooking


Cooking will win out every time! I am supposed to be writing a talk to give in the Dutch Harbor branch tomorrow on The Sacrament, but I had this butternut squash that was just screaming to be made into a wonderful soup. Actually it's more of a bisque. Anyway, I have tried at least half a dozen recipes and this is my all time favorite. It's from the Vitamix cookbook but I think you could adapt it to a regular blender if it's a decent one. Enjoy!
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
3 cups cooked squash
1 large apple, microwaved until tender
1/4 of a small onion + 1/2 clove garlic, sauteed in 1 t. butter or margarine til tender
In the Vitamix:
Put 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 t. thyme, 1/8 t. salt, and 12 oz. boiling chicken broth, mix for 3 mins. until thick and add squash, apple, onion and garlic and mix for an additional 30 seconds until smooth. If it's too thick you can add a bit of water, milk or cream. I used cream.
Delish!

No comments: